Friday, June 22, 2007

Books, Books, Books

I have a weakness for books.
In many ways that's good, as you can learn a lot.
On the other hand there are a lot of bad books out there.
That's one of the reasons I review books here that I recommend.
(I plan on posting a new review soon.)
Also on the bad side is a temptation to make idols of my books, and not just my theological books.
I don't mean in the sense of "bibliolatry" that Roman Catholics have accused me of, nor making idols of favorite authors--I mean the actual books themselves, and the idea of books. (Although "bibliolatry" could be interpreted as "worship of books.")
I love books in general--all sorts of books.

The last time I moved there were jokes about how many books we were moving. But they weren't necessarily jokes after a while.

And there were questions-

"This box is more books?"
"How many books do you need?" (The answer is "At least one more.")
"Have you read all these?" (The answer is "Not enough of them.")

I re-read books, some many times.

I don't like marking up my books.
I have a list of them on file cards, and would love a program like the public library uses to list them and look them up by topic or author or even publisher.

I'm bringing this up because I was in a great mood when I got home today. Why?
I ordered two books from Banner of Truth back in late March, and they were on order so they took longer than usual to arrive. Well today there was a larger than normal envelope in the mail for me.

It was my new books. (New being a relative term-one was written in the late 1600's and the other in the early 1800's.) My mood was lifted.

These books will hopefully make it here as recommended reading.

For those of you curious about them I got-
Truth's Victory Over Error by Dave Dickson. It's a commentary on the Westminster Confession of Faith. Their description of it is "This book is not merely of historical interest; it is also of considerable value now because many of the errors refuted within its pages have surfaced again in the 21st century church under new guises. Christians today can learn a great deal from the faithful witness of former generations who experienced ‘truth’s victory over error’."

The other is Hugh Martin's Shadow Of Calvary, where he looks at Christ from the Garden of Gethsemane through to his arrest and trial.

I should probably log off and start reading...

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy Weaver said...

Bibliophiles rock!

5:49 AM  
Blogger Steve Burlew said...

It's always encouraging to see the look on the face of the one receiving the books that we packed up and shipped from the Banner of Truth warehouse here in Carlisle, PA - even if through the words of a blog! Glad to hear they arrived safely. Enjoy!
Steve B.
www.trophiesofhisgrace.blogspot.com

9:35 AM  
Blogger pilgrim said...

Thanks for commenting guys.
I've started Dickson's book first, and so far it's been a very good read.

Also--lest any think I am bragging about the size of my library I know people whose libraries dwarf mine and make it look like a tract stand at the back of a church.

11:23 AM  
Blogger The Catechizer and The Deacon said...

“People can lose their lives in libraries. They ought to be warned.” (Saul Bellow)

I too share your passion for the printed page, which is why the following poem by Emily Dickinson is so dear to me . . .

"He ate and drank the precious words,
His spirit grew robust;
He knew no more that he was poor,
Nor that his frame was dust.
He danced along the dingy days,
And this bequest of wings
Was but a book. What liberty
A loosened spirit brings!"

Take heart! You are not alone!

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home