Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Stuff in my profile-history

If you look back a bit you'll see the first installment where I blog on the stuff I've listed in my profile. Now it's time for history.

I am interested in history for a few reasons--among them is agreement with the warning that those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.
This can be especially true in Church history. There are many errors and heresies that jsut keep getting recycled because we don't know out Church history.

I also enjoy the stories and the drama we find there.

I can enjoy a story that takes liberties with history depending on how it's done.
If it takes itself too seriously and goes way off base--that is distracting.
But if done for fun or as a fantasy story it can work.

But overall we need demarcation between what is intended as real history and what is not. The most annoying deviations from history for me are the ones where history is altered to make it more palatable today or to promote a contemporary issue. Leave it alone--tell a new story.

As long as history isn't presented as merely a list of dates and events I will probably be interested in it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home