Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Book Recommendation-Can You Run Away From God? by James M. Boice

Subtitled, “If God is sovereign, how can people rebel against Him?”, this is a wonderful 96 page book about the Old Testament prophet Jonah. The book of Jonah is fascinating in the number of lessons we can learn from its four short chapters. Boice looks at God’s sovereignty, but also at God’s mercy and faithfulness. If you haven’t read Jonah before, or if it’s been awhile since you’ve read it, I’d like to encourage you to read it first, and then read Boice’s wonderful book.

Boice starts by defending the historicity of Jonah (He’s mentioned in 2 Kings 14:25, and Matt 12:39-40 for starters). Jonah is a true story, about a real person. After establishing this, Boice looks at the themes of God’s sovereignty and His mercy, and at the connection between Jonah and the Great Commission.

He then moves through the book of Jonah showing these things. He looks at how Nineveh experienced a great revival simply after hearing Jonah’s short message, “Yet forty days, and Nineveh will be overthrown.” (Jonah 3:4). That’s all we’re told Jonah preached. From here Boice looks at revival, particularly in light of Nineveh’s repentance.

He points out how there is much to learn from Jonah, and how we should come away from his book asking questions such as, “Is God not right? Is He not great for showing mercy?” He ends with an appeal for believers to show others the mercy they’ve been shown by God.

Even if you don’t read Boice’s book, read Jonah, keeping the following in mind: God’s sovereignty and mercy, our obligation to share the word, and our attitude to God and His works. Also consider how Jonah represents God’s people in general, and each one of us specifically.

For those who would like to check out more of James Boice, you can check him out here and here.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Burlew said...

Dear "Pilgrim" -
I finally got an answer to your comment that you put on my site a bit ago, regarding the new Banner of Truth release of "Truth's Victory Over Error." I put the reply as a comment on my site but thought you'd be more apt to see it if I added it here ... so here it is. I hope this is helpful.
Steve (with The Banner of Truth)
-----------------------
Dear "Pilgrim" -
I passed your question on to our editor in Edinburgh, Scotland and learned that the soon-to-be-released Banner version "has been carefully edited by Dr. J.R. deWitt, who has collated and compared the George Sinclair and the Thomas Wodrow editions of "Truth's Victory," producing what he believes to be the best text. It also comes with his own Preface and the Wodrow Introduction. Needless to say it is attractively typeset and will have a quality binding and cover, typical of Banner books! So much easier on the eye than a computer screen!!!"
I hope you find this reply (sorry for the delay). I would email it to you, but as far as I know, I do not have an email address for you.
Steve

7:40 AM  
Blogger pilgrim said...

Thanks for the reply.
I have ordered it, and plan on reading it the moment I receive it.
It sounds like it will merit a review here.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

Are you all right, Pilgrim? The last couple of times you stopped blogging this long, you were in the hospital. Had we better start praying again?

11:07 AM  
Blogger pilgrim said...

I thought it was only one time.

Anyway--I have stuff to post, but been busy, tired, etc.

I should have some new stuff soon...

8:38 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

Maybe it was once; I could be wrong. (and usually am.) I didn't mean to pester you about blogging; I just wondered if you were all right.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home