Thursday, November 16, 2006

Reflecting on Original Sin

While I was in the Intensive Care Unit recently I had a lot of time to think. I had visitors, which was great, but I also had a lot of time to just lay in bed. I wasn't able to read much. Some of my thoughts drifted around, but sometimes I could focus. And I found my mind kept coming back to original sin and the effects of the fall.

I was there in ICU because of original sin. I don't mean my condition was a direct punishment for a particular sin of my own. I don't know that. But I do know that illness, suffering, injuries, and all other negative things are the result of the fall of Adam and Eve.

They disobeyed God and ate of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. As a result the earth was cursed. As a result we have health issues, among other consequences. There is pain and suffering because of sin.

I can not blame Adam or Eve for what I went through. If I had been in their place I too would have sinned. I may have sinned sooner. In that sense we are in this together. Anyone of us would have sinned as Adam and Eve did.

Yet there is hope. In eternity future I will have a perfect body, as will all God's people. If we are His we will not suffer. Shortly after their sin God promised a redeemer in Genesis 3:15-
"I will put enmity between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel."


God also promised to redeem not only His people, but all His creation. One day there will be a new heaven and a new earth. (Rev 21)

While things may seem messed up now, and we suffer, one day it will end for God's people. I knew all of this before, but now I know and understand it more deeply because of what I've been through. Many have been through worse, I hope they understand this even more deeply. And in that understanding may they have a greater hope in a merciful, sovereign, holy God.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only when we truly understand how far we have fallen, will we appreciate how good God's grace really is.

4:18 PM  
Blogger pilgrim said...

Thanks for the comment.

I've had a lot of time lately to reflect on these things.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home