Friday, November 10, 2006

God's Providence - He is Good!

God is good.

I have had a lot of time to reflect on that due to recent events. As my situation started with an emergency I did consider my death as well.

I can sit here and go on about how wonderful God's providence is because I survived, but would God be any less God if I had not survived?

I was thankful for how things worked out. My age and previous health were factors in my favour. The timing and location of events, including getting to the hospital quickly all worked in my favour. The doctors were working on me very quickly, and it went well. So of course I am thankful to God that if I had to go through what I went through that things went as they did. I am thankful for the doctors, nurses, and paramedics. I am thankful for their knowledge and actions. But what if it hadn't worked out that way?

As I was being taken to the hospital, and especially as I was being treated once I arrived there I kept thinking of Paul's words in Phil 1:21-6,
"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again."


I am not comparing myself to Paul, but this is something all Christians can consider.
We have families and friends here. We may still feel called to some work. But if in God's providence it is time for us to leave this life, as Christians we will be with the Lord. I felt convinced that if it had been time for me to go, my family and friends would be well taken care of.

This was shown by the outpouring of prayer, help, meals, encouragement and more from my family, my wife's family, and our Church family. God would not abandon those I would leave behind. As it turned out I am still here, and it is those fmailies and friends who are caring for me in my recovery. It is very encouraging to me. I am exceedingly thankful for their love, support, help, prayers, etc. And it is this sort of thing, as well as other thoughts that I wish to share from my experiences with those who read this blog. In many ways this is just the surface. May you be encouraged by God's care for His people and His creation.

God would still be God, and still be good, no matter how things turned out for me.

I still plan to blog on other things unrelated to what happened, but I needed to get some of this out first.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

I didn't think much about it, because you've taken long breaks between posts before, but I'm glad to know you're all right. I'd have been praying if I'd known there was an emergency. Should we pray anyway for a full recovery, or has it already happened and you're out of the woods now?

1:25 PM  
Blogger Clarkie said...

So glad that you are recovering! I was very encouraged to see how you were interpreting this event in light of God's providence.

GraceFinder

12:25 PM  
Blogger pilgrim said...

Thanks guys.

I am still in recovery, but am at home.
I'm doing much better.

"clarkie" I'm sorry I missed your preaching, but it was the day after.

I'm still praying for your ministry.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home