Monday, October 09, 2006

LOTW October 9, 2006

Thanksgiving Day is almost over for us Canadians, and so to celebrate a new edition of Links of the Whenever---

First up a link on baptism.
This is actually a link to a page of links on
monergism.com

At this link you'll find several articles on baptism, defending both Paedobaptism (or covenant baptism--baptising children of believers) and Credobaptism (baptising believers only). There are also articles linked on this page on the baptsim of the Holy Spirit and also on baptismal regenration.

As a Presbyterian I hold to Paedobaptism, but there are well written articles on both sides.

Baptism (Credobaptism & Paedobaptism & other articles too.)

Then, if you're looking for a new game to play try this one-
Calvinball
It has nothing to do with John Calvin, except that cartoonist Bill Watterson named the character Calvin after John Calvin.
It's a fun read.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

At the risk of being nosy, was your Catholic paedobaptism recognized in your Presbyterian church, or did you feel it necessary to be rebaptized?

7:44 PM  
Blogger pilgrim said...

Well first, Reformed paedobaptism and RC paedobaptism are quite different, as you are probably aware.

Second-I didn't jump from RCism to being a Presbyterian. I was rebaptized in a church belonging to the Associated Gospel Churches of Canada. It was this baptism that was recognized when I joined a PCA church.

Third-The PCA leaves it up to the leadership in each congregation as to wheteher to accept RC baptism as valid.

Fourth-While some would accept it as valid as it was done in a Trinitarian formula, I wanted to be rebaptized as my RC baptism was not into the same covenant I now held.

Fifth-If a former RC came to me and asked if they should be baptized I would first ask them why they wanted to be rebaptized, so that if they get rebaptized it's for the right reasons.

Sixth-This is longer than many of my posts--maybe I should expand on it.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

I'd be interested if you would. I had the impression that the reasons for paedobaptism were pretty similar.

10:24 AM  
Blogger pilgrim said...

I'll get to work on it, but I can't make any promises when it will be ready...

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home