Saturday, October 29, 2005

Longings After God

All I have to say about this is-Wow. Now that is a prayer-


Longings After God
(Taken from a collection of Puritan prayers and devotions)

My Dear Lord,

I can but tell Thee that Thou knowest
I long for nothing but Thyself,
nothing but holiness, nothing
but union with Thy will.

Thou hast given me these desires;
and Thou alone canst give me the
thing desired.

My soul longs for communion with
Thee, for mortification of
indwelling corruption, especially
spiritual pride.

How precious it is to have a tender
sense and clear apprehension of the
mystery of godliness, of true
holiness!

What a blessedness to be like Thee
as much as possible for a
creature to be like its creator!

Lord, give me more of Thy likeness;
enlarge my soul to contain fullness
of holiness; engage me to
live more for Thee.

Help me to be less pleased with my
spiritual experiences, and when I
feel at ease after sweet communings,
teach me it is far too little that I know
and do.

Blessed Lord, let me climb up near
to Thee, and love, and long, and plead,
and wrestle with Thee, and pant for
deliverance from the body of sin, for my heart
is wandering and lifeless, and my soul mourns to
think it should ever lose sight of its Beloved.

Wrap my life in divine love, and keep me
ever desiring Thee, always humble and resigned
to Thy will, more fixed on Thyself, that I may
be more fitted for doing and suffering.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy Weaver said...

That is a great prayer.

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home