Saturday, April 15, 2006

What Sinners Should Plead with God-by Ralph Erskine Part 1

In the previous post I mention Fire and Ice.
One of the features is a section for the Puritan Ralph Erskine (1685-1752) and his brother Ebenezer(1680-1754).

Here's a sample of Ralph's writing.

What Sinners Should Plead with God
by Ralph Erskine

1. Plead his promise, Ezek 36:26,27. "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws." It is a free, gracious promise: cry to him to make good that word to you, seeing he has said, "Once again I will yield to the plea of the house of Israel and do this for them." ver. 37. Tell him, that now you are come to inquire, and request him to do it.

(more to come)

2 Comments:

Blogger The Catechizer and The Deacon said...

It’s great to see someone quoting Ralph Erskine. In Reformed circles, if you mention the name "Erskine," folks immediately think you’re speaking of his brother, Ebenezer.

Believe it or not, I actually have a picture of Ralph up on my cube wall at work, along with his poem "Think and Smoke Tobacco."

Keep the great quotes coming!

7:01 PM  
Blogger pilgrim said...

I'm more familiar with Ralph.
But they both wrote some profitable reading.
Stayed tuned for future installments.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home